Monday, May 21, 2007

Wikipedia Wrap-up

Throughout the semester I have been updating 4 wikipedia articles on Racquetball, Beer Pong, the Yankees, and Entourage. After all is said and done, I can say that my work added major changes to 2 of my articles and minor to no benefit to my other articles.
The articles that I seemed to really contribute to were the racquetball and beer pong article. In both of these, i added insightful information and gave in depth information that was lacking previously. Since none of my posts have been deleted, I take this as positive acknowledgment from the Wikipedia community. In the end, the articles seemed much more useful to readers which gives me a feeling of satisfaction.
The edits on the article on the New York Yankees had no effect since all my edits were deleted. I realize now that the topic was too difficult to work with since the information there was already extremely in depth. There are also a huge amount of users constantly updating the page and keeping it pretty much the same at all times.
My Entourage edits stuck for the most part, but again, there was already a ton of information about the show and its characters that any edit made by me were small and insignificant.
I thought this was a great project since I never knew how to edit Wikipedia before. I also learned the whole concept behind it and think that its pretty cool how its the users that create all the content and watch over the other users.

No comments: