Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Clickz

I just read this article on clickz about how some people feel that the attention span of people is diminishing and that the idea of "snack-o-tainment" is taking over. The article explains that people only give things a very small window of attention and that this trend is leading to new forms of entertainment that is short and quick. However I, on the other hand, dislike short snippets of entertainment and enjoy long epic entertainment such as the video game Grand Theft Auto and long movies like Apocolypse Now Redux. I was glad to see that the article claimed that marketers who simply are changing over to short entertainment are making a mistake becuase there are many people like myself who like entertainment in its long drawn out entirety.

2 comments:

Drew Klein said...

I just read the ClickZ article you commented on about the diminishing attention spans of people and the transition from “long” entertainment mediums to “short” ones. I never really gave this issue much thought, but I agree that both are occurring. YouTube has been on a rampage for quite some time and blogging has become way more popular as well. However, what interested me also was the counter-argument in the article; how many television programs are in fact getting longer, rather than shorter. All these things need to be considered when it comes to presenting a successful marketing strategy. Overall, I thought it was a very informative article.

Caitlin Winters said...

I agree with you in that I prefer long entertainment mediums over short ones. Music videos, in my opinion, are the culprit of being the worst "short" form of entertainment. A particular scene in a music video does not stay on the screen for more than three seconds. However, I think it is interesting that you see certain video games as "longer" forms. I feel video games contribute to the shift from short to long mediums because video games involve constant sensory overload. There is always something blinking, flashing, blowing up, changing colors, etc.